[geeks] A Real OS? (was: Re: my capitalization.. etc.)

alex j avriette avriettea at speakeasy.net
Sun May 19 13:25:12 CDT 2002

> Since when is nVidia some "Joe Bob's Backwoods" video card?

have you looked at the list of video cards linux supports lately?

> And do you really think that having more vendors supply drivers
> for their hardware would be bad for *BSD?

yes.

> I can't see where limited hardware support will help wider
> acceptance of *BSD.  Look at what limited hardware support
> has done to Solaris x86.

i wouldnt know anything about solaris x86. well, actually, i ran it on
my vaio for a little while. i wrote a driver for my pcmcia ethernet
card. that sucked, and i decided openbsd would be better.

> I really can't believe you want limited hardware support
> in *BSD.

i really do. i like the openbsd project because it is limited, elitist,
and dedicated. perhaps im an arrogant prick, or perhaps i just like
having my os work.

> If the drivers are well written and tested before inclusion
> there wouldn't be a problem.

until there are so many drivers and so many authors and the hcl is so
long the project becomes unmanageable and begins to lose overall
quality. much like linux around, say, 2.2.

>>> use Solaris x86, but give me a BSD with support for my
>>> hardware and I'll switch in a heartbeat.
>>
>> hm. i need solaris for mips.
>
> I don't see that happening unless Sun buys SGI (which I
> really don't see happening).

yeah, me neither.

alex