[geeks] A Real OS? (was: Re: my capitalization.. etc.)

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Sun May 19 12:50:53 CDT 2002

> > The BSDs need more hardware vendor support, too.
>
> no, they dont. what makes linux suck is how over-extended it is
> supporting everything. if they would just flatly say "no, we're not
> going to support joebobs backwoods video card," the code wouldnt be in
> your kernel config and it would be easier to know your kernel. the
> developers could focus on more important things. linux supports
> everything. but because they support everything, they support nothing
> "well." except i guess the intel/amd x86 platform.

Since when is nVidia some "Joe Bob's Backwoods" video card?
And do you really think that having more vendors supply drivers
for their hardware would be bad for *BSD?

Of course in the nVidia case we are not talking kernel about
kernel code but rather XFree86.

I can't see where limited hardware support will help wider
acceptance of *BSD.  Look at what limited hardware support
has done to Solaris x86.

> > Why the BSD groups aren't working with major companies to get
> > them to realize this I don't know.
>
> perhaps because they realize that the more hype there is the lower the
> quality of the OS will be. there's an openbsd faq on this that says,
> sure, be an advocate, but openbsd is not for everyone and will not oust
> X os on the desktop.

I really can't believe you want limited hardware support
in *BSD.

If the drivers are well written and tested before inclusion
there wouldn't be a problem.

> > use Solaris x86, but give me a BSD with support for my
> > hardware and I'll switch in a heartbeat.
>
> hm. i need solaris for mips.

I don't see that happening unless Sun buys SGI (which I
really don't see happening).
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net