[geeks] If your computer were a car, what kind would it be?

William S. wstan at xs4all.nl
Sun May 19 02:22:40 CDT 2002

I was just thinking about this as I was following the
thread on cop cars and looking over some of my hardware
here at home. Presently I do not own a car, but if I were
to be getting one here in Europe it might be a Renault
or Peugeot. Maybe a small coupe. My former car back in
the states was a Mercury Grande Marquis. Very comfortable
for eating up road miles. However, I am drifting off topic.

I now have at home a P166MMX; IBM Thinkpad 600e; Compaq
Prolinea 3/25s; VAXstation2000/3100; MicroVAX 3100-30;
MicroVAX II. Also some VT220's and a VT320.

If I were to envision them as automobiles in terms of
style, speed, performance, durability, hauling power,
economy they might be as follows:

P166MMX: Ford Escort (Small, underpowered, common)
Thinkpad: VW Golf (Small, easy to park anywhere, quick
          for it's size and price, not much space for
          packing things into.)
Compaq: Dodge Diplomat (old but good to get around in,
        will get me back and forth to the market but
        not in style, no longer manufactured but still
        seen on the streets now and then.)
VAXstation2000: VW Bug (Classic, useful, not used very
        much but functional for short distances)
VAXstation3100: Toyota Pickup (Small engine but neat to
                haul stuff around in, keeps on going,
                reliable and dependable, can carry more than
                expected)
MicroVAXen: Ford 250 (Same reasons as above but more space
            and better hauling capacity, faster.)

Well, I think I matched most of these items correctly.
Anyone have any input? How about your own rigs?

--
Bill
Amsterdam, NL