[geeks] A Real OS? (was: Re: my capitalization.. etc.)

Peter L. Wargo pwargo at basenji.com
Sat May 18 23:49:38 CDT 2002

On Saturday, May 18, 2002, at 08:58 PM, Eric Dittman wrote:

> But what makes you think Linus became a prick?

Reading his words, see ing his actions.  I met him online shortly after
he released his first kernel. (I was a sysop on the UNIX roundtable on
GEnie.)  Very nice guy.  Now he believes all the hype, and that he is
somehow become all-knowing about the computer industry.  Too bad, he was
a nice guy.

> I think you'll find IBM, Sun, HPaq, etc. disagree.

You may not realize this, but big companies are very prone to "jumping
on the hype bandwagon" If they think it can generate sales.  Linux
(which is mostly gnu stuff anyway!) is the flavor of the month, so
everybody wants a piece of it.  The average schmoe on the street has
heard of it, so they do what they need to gain market share.

Hell, Solaris x86 is technically *way* superior to Linux, as are the
*BSD's.

-Pete