[geeks] A Real OS? (was: Re: my capitalization.. etc.)

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Sat May 18 23:21:53 CDT 2002

> >> Also, Linux is pretty second-rate compared to The BSD's.
> >
> > I think you'll find IBM, Sun, HPaq, etc. disagree.
>
> Hm. I'm going to step out on a limb here and make idle conjecture. My
> assumption is if NetBSD had as much name recognition and grassroots buzz
> as linux did, Sun and similar would be backing it instead (or, heck,
> even in addition). I find Linux pretty silly as an OS. I also find it
> ill-suited to enterprise environments. I think Linux just finds itself
> in a convenient position of there being a definite backlash from
> Microsoft and closed source software. It makes it convenient for Sun to
> market linux and IBM to market linux -- but I'm sure they'd be just as
> happy with one of the free BSD flavors if people knew about them.

I'm sure you'll find that IBM, Sun, HPaq (and Digital and Compaq
before they were swallowed) knew about *BSD.

I think what hurts *BSD most is the fragmentation.  The long-time
lack of a decent installer probably hurt, too, along with the
kernel rebuild being like playing a text adventure game.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net