[geeks] A Real OS? (was: Re: my capitalization.. etc.)

alex j avriette avriettea at speakeasy.net
Sat May 18 23:16:32 CDT 2002

>> Also, Linux is pretty second-rate compared to The BSD's.
>
> I think you'll find IBM, Sun, HPaq, etc. disagree.

Hm. I'm going to step out on a limb here and make idle conjecture. My
assumption is if NetBSD had as much name recognition and grassroots buzz
as linux did, Sun and similar would be backing it instead (or, heck,
even in addition). I find Linux pretty silly as an OS. I also find it
ill-suited to enterprise environments. I think Linux just finds itself
in a convenient position of there being a definite backlash from
Microsoft and closed source software. It makes it convenient for Sun to
market linux and IBM to market linux -- but I'm sure they'd be just as
happy with one of the free BSD flavors if people knew about them.

perhaps I should go start a bsd propaganda campaign. hm.

alex