[geeks] Re: Need an opinion

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Fri May 17 20:44:27 CDT 2002

> Yep. No amount of computer changes are going to net more than 15-20
> horsepower without hardware changes, i.e., intake manifold, exhaust
> manifold, cylinder heads, etc. Unless you have computer controlled valve

That depends on the engine.  The Cummins 24v 5.9l can net a 100ft-lb
with simply remapping fuel delivery.  But I think I may have gone
through that before, possibly to the point of making everyone on-list
sick...

> Gearing changes acceleration but not power.

True, but it does change effective torque - the power put to the
pavement by the tires.  For instance, a 4.11 axle ratio will provide
much more effective torque than a 3.55 ratio.  While this doesn't change
engine power, it does change the effective delivery of the power, and
can have a massive effect on accelleration.  So, you're right - but only
halfway - I think...

> As indicated by the speedometer, or calculated by gearing/rpm/tire
> circumference? Depending on the weight of the car and the coefficient of
> drag, it is ... unlikely you were actually exceeding 160mph with a
> sub-300hp engine. Furthermore, unless you had VR or ZR tires on the car,
> traveling in excess of 154mph for any length of period is likely to
> explode one or all of your tires.

It's doubtful that the speedo was off so much that the error was that
great.  Even at 10%, which would be a huge error, the actual speed would
have been around 145 on the low end which is still impressive.  If there
were bigger tires, it could even have been higher - which is possible.
I've seen stranger things.  In fact, I was once stopped in my Ford
Taurus (160hp) doing 135, with the only mod being a slight fuel remap
and the removal of the speed limiter.  I have a copy of the ticket
around here somewhere in a box.

Anyway, it's possible.
--
Kurt