MOPAR Was:Re: [geeks] Re: Need an opinion

Bruce Pullig bpullig at houston.oilfield.slb.com
Fri May 17 14:44:04 CDT 2002

At 02:29 PM 5/17/2002, you wrote:
>Message: 12
>Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 14:52:50 -0400
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Re: Need an opinion
>From: alex j avriette <avriettea at speakeasy.net>
>To: geeks at sunhelp.org
>
> >> MOPAR? Is that an acronym?
> >
> > MOPAR means Chrysler.  MOPAR parts == Chrysler parts, MOPAR
> > service==Chrysler
> > service, etc.  I don't know what it exactly stands for though.
>
>it doesn't really mean anything. the origin of the term is kind of a
>mystery. some people have decided it is derived from "mo' paahhhrrr"
>(think heavy southern twangish pronunciation), others that it came from
>an acronym to which the "PAR" was parts or something. at any rate, there
>is no real accepted meaning other than chrysler corporation's
>performance parts division.

Back in the days that I raced a Chrysler Laser in SCCA Showroom Stock the
MOPAR catalog had the following explanation for the "MOPAR" name:

They used to ship Chrylser & Dodge parts in crates to dealers.  On the
crates they spray painted the words "Motor Parts" on separate lines using a
stencil.  Apparently someone got lazy one day and didn't spray but the
first part of the stencil, thus only "Mo" & "Par" showed.  When it arrived
at the dealer with parts someone remarked about the "special MoPar" parts
going into the Dodge NASCAR race cars.  Somehow that name stuck.

   Bruce Pullig
   Senior Systems Administrator
   Schlumberger Information Solutions
   Data Management Center
   5444 Westheimer, Suite 800, Houston, TX 77056
   Phone: 713.350.4217  Fax: 713.350.4102
   bpullig at slb.com