[geeks] CAD stuff

dave at cca.org dave at cca.org
Thu May 16 22:47:40 CDT 2002

vance at ikickass.org writes:

>On Fri, 17 May 2002, Chris Byrne wrote:

>> > Is anyone familiar with stereolithography?  I have a bunch of STL files
>> > and I have to make modifications, but every time I translate the file, I
>> > get a mesh, instead of a solid.  Can anyone help?

>> I've worked with quite a lot of sterophotolithography but I've never
>> used any CAD apps with it (though I'm pretty sure microstation had a
>> plugin). What software are you using?

>Well, the file format comes from stereolithography, but the particular
>application is custom engraved (steel) forms for plastic.

So the toolpath is displaying as a mesh instead of a solid? Sounds
like it lost track of the tool (beam, whatever) diameter you're
cutting with, or just isn't displaying it. If it's just displaying
the *path* the cutting tool is going to take, that's what you're
going to see.

Or is this something else entirely?

------ David Fischer ------- dave at cca.org ------- http://www.cca.org ------
----- Being poked in the eye with a sharp stick makes baby jesus cry! -----