[geeks] photogeeks?

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu May 16 22:21:11 CDT 2002

On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 10:10:58PM -0400, alex j avriette wrote:

> Hm. Yeah. The problem is, I'm no good with "hardware." Twiddling the
> camera I can figure out until I get the right image. Film is just so ...
> analog. I find it hard to grasp.

Don't know what to say about that.

> >For real work, I use my Leica M rangefinders, or Rapid Omega and
> >Rolleiflex
> >medium format cameras.
>
> "range fingers"? What I like most about the first one is it seems to me
> to be uncontrived. The other two were kind of cliche. Pretty, but
> cliche. After you've sat and figured out the right focus and so on,
> where's the spontaneity?

That is why you need to practice until you can get the focus in a snap.
Rangefinders are supposed to be quicker to focus.   Focus is largely a
function of distance from your camera to your subject, so if you are
decent at sighting distances, you are in really good shape.

--
Joshua D. Boyd