[geeks] photogeeks?

Don McClure donindigo2 at mac.com
Thu May 16 21:52:50 CDT 2002

on 5/16/02 10:10 PM, alex j avriette at avriettea at speakeasy.net wrote:

> Hm. Yeah. The problem is, I'm no good with "hardware." Twiddling the
> camera I can figure out until I get the right image. Film is just so ...
> analog. I find it hard to grasp.

A hundred a fifty dollar 35mm point and shoot will have higher resolution
then any digital camera available for under $10k. I do enjoy the instant
gratification of my little Powershot though.

> "range fingers"? What I like most about the first one is it seems to me
> to be uncontrived. The other two were kind of cliche. Pretty, but
> cliche. After you've sat and figured out the right focus and so on,
> where's the spontaneity?

Leica rangefinder cameras might be considered the original point and shoots.
Mine are between 30 and 65 years old. They were created for off-the-cuff
style shooting. Takes a lot of practice, however. What's creative about
letting your camera decide what is going to be in focus, and what the
exposure is going to be?

I like your pictures, especially the first one's unusual perspective. They
are all well composed too. You seem to have a good eye!

Don McClure
Bel Air, MD