[geeks] BGP on a Cisco Router

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Thu May 16 12:40:33 CDT 2002

On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 01:23:53PM -0400, Kurt Huhn wrote:

> Actually, the more I read about BGP, HSRP sounds like a good idea as
> well.

The difference is that HSRP will only do stuff when one of the routes fails,
whereas BGP will let you use both routes at the same time, without your
users noticing *as well as* dealing with a failure on one of the routes.

> $Company actually belongs to my brother-in-law and we're looking to
> simply add some stability and a redundant path for internal machines, as
> well as the webserver if possible.

They're hosting their public-facing servers on their own network?  Not a
good idea for small outfits!

--
David Cantrell | Benevolent Dictator | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david

  Longum iter est per praecepta, breve et efficax per exempla.
      -- Seneca Philosophus, Epistulae