[geeks] Need an opinion

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Thu May 16 12:17:56 CDT 2002

> > Then there's the less tangible reasons - the emotional response, the
> > look-n-feel, the fact that it's over 30yrs old and still stomps all over
> > modern sports cars, etc, etc, etc...
>
> Even though I am a fan of older Mustangs, I would strongly disagree with
> that statement.  Modern sports cars pretty well kick the ass of older
> ones now.  The Cobra pulls a 12.9 in the quarter, and can vastly
> out-handle any of the 60's muscle cars.  AFAIK, Ford never made a 'stang
> with 390HP/390lb-ft until now. (Remember net HP, not gross.)
>
> Let's not even talk about the Viper and the Corvette.

Well, yes, on the high end.  But with a little work, a 30-yr-old Mustang
can handle very well and hang with with some very capable cars.  You're
right though - in stock form with 108k on the clock, that Mustang won't
out-handle or out-accellerate anything but a family sedan (and even
then...).  I suppose I was implying the modifications, which I shouldn't
have...

But, you still get serious 'car-guy' points for having a Boss 302 even
if it isn't the fastest or best handling thing on the road.  Kind like
having a HO Cummins TD in pickup truck comparisons...
--
Kurt
kurt at k-huhn.com
Editor: "We need a new food critic, someone who doesn't immediately
poo-poo everything he eats."
Homer: "Naw, that usually takes a few hours."