[geeks] Cheap Inspiron 8000

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Wed May 15 18:14:09 CDT 2002

I just finished building an Inspiron 8000 with parts I had
laying around and bought from eBay.  The system is a 700MHz
PIII with 10GB hard drive, 64MB RAM, 1400x1050 display, and
32MB ATI Mobility M4.  The total:

Motherboard:	 65.00
LCD:		110.00
Plastic case:	 50.00
Heatsink/pipe:	  5.00
CPU:		  0.00
MiniPCI:	  0.00
RAM:		  0.00
Video Card:	  0.00
LCD Frame:	 50.00
----------------------
Total:		280.00

If I'd had to buy the CPU, RAM, miniPCI card, and video card
the cost would have gone up by:

CPU:		 60.00
RAM:		 20.00
MiniPCI:	 20.00
Video Card:	 85.00
----------------------
Total:		185.00

Which puts the total at $465.00, which is still a lot cheaper
than the original cost of an equally configured system I
bought when they first came out (about $2400, IIRC).

I'm not including the power adapter and battery as I've
got several of them to support the first I8000.

I think the LCD was really a lucky find, as they usually go
for at least $250.00.

I'm helping my neighbor put together a similar laptop.  My
wife gets the one I just built (and I can sell her old
Presario 1800XL600 for more than the cost of the parts to
build the new I8000).
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net