[geeks] wheeee

Kris Kirby kris at catonic.net
Wed May 15 14:47:01 CDT 2002

On Wed, 15 May 2002, alex j avriette wrote:
> Anyhow, I'm hoping after another night of NyQuill tonight that I will
> head to work in the morning. I have a LOT of work to do after 2 weeks
> being gone!

Don't forget to keep your fluids up. I nearly lost my job for doing so.

I used to work in a manufacturing factory, 12 hour shifts, three days a
week (paid for 40 hours). One day I started to feel sick -- a sore throat.
So I combatted it the way I usually do -- upped my fluids by 200% - 300%.
I guess I must have drunken two *gallons* of water in twelve hours. My
norm of was one gallon. Naturally, every hour, I was taking a trip to the
can. And every trip I made, I drank about 20 fl. oz. of water...

Someone had it rigged so that whenever I showed up near the bathroom,
$boss_wanabe got a phone call. After about the third call, $wannabe was
being nice and asking me "not to go near there". Sheesh. It was the
fscking men's restroom and adjoining water fountain! Finally, on one of my
100 foot walks to my workstation of the day and my normal workstation, i
was caught in the middle by $wannabe and told that I was needed in $area.
I said "Ok, but I'm going to the bathroom." She said: "I need you there
now." I said: "Ok. *but I'm going to the bathroom*." When I got back, my
boss gave me a mini-bitch out. Too bad I wasn't my usual sharp self, or I
would have corrected him where he stood.

But the funny part is .. since I was feeling down... I didn't react
*period* when he threatened to suspend me or terminate me. I'm *very*
proud of that act. :)