[geeks] Graduation

Michael A. Turner mturner at whro.org
Mon May 13 14:33:19 CDT 2002

> My school drops you if you don't pay before classes start.
>
> I could have paid for most of it via a state grant, but that
> grant had the
> strings attached that I'd have to stay working in the state
> one year for
> every semester I got the grant.  So, I made do with out it.
>
> --
> Joshua D. Boyd

	I don't blame you. I hate those kinds of agreements. Both of the
places I have worked at in the last five years had stuff like that they
offered. But you had to stay with a company for a year after they paid for a
class or you had to pay it back (read they took it from your final pay
check). I didn't want to get stuck like that so I passed their offer up.
	Here is a good example for reference on how money grubbing my school
is. When the gulf war broke out and they called up the reservists to go
serve at the beginning of a school semester. all the other schools in the
country told the reservists not to sweat it, that all was forgiven and go do
their job. Not ODU, no sir, they told these guys that they knew that they
where reservists and could get called up on a moments notice. The fact that
it had happened was no excuse for missing classes and consequentially no
reason not to pay for those classes so they still owed them the money. They
demanded payment from all of them.
	It took an act of congress to make them stop trying to collect the
money from the soldiers fighting for our country. I think it is a little
hard to get more money grubbing than that.

Michael A. Turner
Systems Engineer
WHRO
michael.turner at whro.org