[geeks] Table Saw Suggestions

geeks at sunhelp.org geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon May 13 08:33:36 CDT 2002

Delta makes some excellent portable table saws. The only thing I dislike
about any portable is they use some kind of universal or induction motor
that is very fast and has the blade mounted right to the motor output shaft.
That means lots of noise and some blade wobble. Nicer saws have a belt
driven blade arbor mounted in bearings.

I highly recommed whatever Delta has the Extend-o-table that bolts on to
make the table wider (it also has a REALLY usefull outfeed roller mounted on
the exit side of the table). Sooner or later you will want a bigger table
than a portable will offer.

Maybe a tablesaw isn't right for you. The primary purpose of a tablesaw is
for long distance ripping. Also, small work often results in a flesh
sacrifice to the blade. Look into table scroll saws (blade reciprocates but
they are cheap) and bandsaws (blade travels in a big loop and cuts clean and
fast).

James Fogg, Network Engineer
Vicinity Corporation - New Hampshire
(603) 442-1751