[geeks] isdn gateways

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Sun May 12 07:40:58 CDT 2002

On Sun, May 12, 2002 at 04:48:44AM +0100, Chris Byrne wrote:
> I've been thinking lately about getting one of the early 90's UNIX boxes
> with built in ISDN to play with as my ISDN gateway.

Do be careful - ISDN is, sadly, not the same the world over.  And you may
need an external NTU.  Tis a long time since I did ISDN, so I may have the
wrong name.

> I've got a bit of nostalgia for the Indy because it was the first dedicated
> UNIX hardware I ever owned (I bought one from my college when they upgraded)
> But I don't really want to run IRIX as my firewall and dialup server. I
> don't think there's any other options though. As far as I can tell as of
> November of last year netBSD will run on an Indy, but not any Linux, and I
> don't think that netBSD supports the built-in ISDN.

Linux runs on an Indy, but you'll need to net-boot it.  Dunno if this is a
problem for you or not.

--
David Cantrell    |    Reprobate    |    http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david

   When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life
      -- Samuel Johnson