[geeks] F*n sweet car... has anyone seen this car yet?

David Passmore dpassmor at sneakers.org
Fri May 10 17:36:46 CDT 2002

On Fri, May 10, 2002 at 11:14:45PM +0100, Chris Byrne wrote:
> Actually you cant say the Mustang was started WAY before the Camaro because
> at the time ford launched the mustang it was the fastest developed car in
> its history. There were several mustang like concepts prior to Lee Iacocca's
> championing of what became the 1964-1/2 Mustang but that particular project
> took if I recall correctly 14 months from first sketch to first prototype,
> and then another four months for a production ready car. That's incredibly
> fast even by todays standards and at the time was ridiculously fast. The
> Camaro design was launched probably a year after the mustang design was, it
> just took a normal length of time (usually between four and seven years).

There was a design that looked almost exactly like the first-generation
Mustang prototyped in 1962. But it was for a Cougar.

While I don't have any books in front of me, several talk about the
'ponycar' phenomenon in-depth, and almost all of them agree that the Camaro
was a response to the Mustang's introduction in April 1964.

I have owned a '64 1/2 Mustang for 12 years, if that helps put things into
perspective. I owned a '65 for a year before that (I wasn't even driving age
yet). I currently own a '99 as well, soon to trade up to a 2003 Cobra.

David