[geeks] Sparcs

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Fri May 10 17:11:49 CDT 2002

I upgraded my SS20 from 2xSM61s to 2xSM81s.  I had a little
bit of a scare when I got an error message about a CPU
failure. I swapped around the SM81s, trying them one at a
time, until I decided to check to see what firmware level
I needed.  After swapping out the PROM from one of the
donor SS20s the system came up.  I guess it would have
been easier to just move the two drives from the original
to one of the donors, along with the SM81 from the other
donor, since the NVRAM was reset when I changed the PROM
so I lost any custom settings anyway.

I've the SS20 with 2xSM81s, an Ultra 1/170, and an Ultra
2 2200.  I've got an Ultra 2 1170 on the way.  I'm also
going to buy the Ultra 30 instead of the AXi, I think.

These systems are addictive.  I really want one of the
new SunBlade 2000s, although if I could figure out how
to get one of the Sun Fire 15K systems from work...
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net