[geeks] Desktops

Dave Kimmel crisco_kid at shaw.ca
Fri May 10 10:02:19 CDT 2002

On Fri, 10 May 2002, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 11:15:49PM -0600, Dave Kimmel wrote:
> > I seem to recall that InterBase used to be like that.  It'd store all its
> > stuff in a single file, without a "server" (I think there was a locking
> > daemon), but it was a real SQL database.  It did tables, views, stored
> > procs, and probably some other stuff that I never touched.
>
> Is not that a commercial package?

At the time I used it, it was.  Its since been open sourced and is now
called "Firebird".  I haven't been following it too closely, but they do
appear to have a 1.0 release at http://firebird.sf.net.

Personally, I've got high hopes for MaVerick.  I'd love to see an open
source multivalued database.

-- Dave Kimmel
   crisco_kid at shaw.ca