[geeks] Desktops

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Fri May 10 06:33:20 CDT 2002

On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 08:38:34PM -0400, Ryn wrote:
> What are folks using for free office suites. Star Office, Open Office or
> something else?

At work - where I have a Ultra 10 desktop - we use Star Office.  There are
just two people in the group who originate officey documents, our team
assistant and our commercial mangler.  The rest of us just use it to read
documents sent from outside, and we're beginning to get them trained to
realise that plain text is better.

Star Office is alright for reading MS documents, but not great.  The import
filters sometimes barf on complex page layouts and spreadsheets, and the
mismatch between fonts can cause trouble.  In those cases, I mail the
offending document to the team assistant and get her to print it out for
me.

My preferred document creation tool is vi.  If someone else wants it pretty
they can damned well prettify it themselves.  OK OK, on the rare occasions
I want pretty text, I have LaTeX.  I don't do spreadsheets.

At home, I use MS Office on OS X on the very rare occasions I need to
look at a proprietary document.  I use Excel for maintaining my D&D
character sheet, and that's just about it.

If I need to prepare a presentation, I do it in HTML.

--
David Cantrell    |    Degenerate    |    http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david

  o/~ I want my SMTP o/~