[geeks] Desktops

Gregory Leblanc gleblanc at linuxweasel.com
Thu May 9 19:03:07 CDT 2002

On Thu, 2002-05-09 at 16:51, Mike Hebel wrote:
> As for the advice.  Choose a fairly current distribution with some 2.4
> or better kernel and look _carefully_ at what kind of hardware is in
> your machine.  My Creative Labs Modem Blaster PCI is supposed to be
> supported under 2.4 kernels with HCF drivers but it doesn't work.  (I
> have the joy of retro-connecting with my old external 33.6 modem.)

Having not used a modem in several years, I may not be the best person
to comment on this, but...  The network config tool in the newer Red Hat
(7.2 and 7.3) releases looks pretty neat (I read the manual, and looked
at screenshots)

> Then there's the ever present issue of connecting to other things in
> your house - for instance I still can't get CUPS to print to the Windows
> Postcript laser on my wife's machine and my scanner currently doesn't
> work yet.  Again, hardware issues - they come up with any operating
> system.

Weird.  I needed to share my printer among the people in the house, most
of whom are running Windows.  I attempted to share my printer from XP
(which I have for gaming), and we couldn't make it work.  I rebooted
into Linux, fired up samba, and we were printing from any machine in the
house in about 10 minutes.  All I can say is "Windows sucks".
	Greg

--
Portland, Oregon, USA.