[geeks] Look at this bullcrap... the spammers are fighting back.

Chris Byrne chris at chrisbyrne.com
Thu May 9 12:11:03 CDT 2002

My average daily spam total is several hundred, not including the pointless
vendor mailing lists et al that are psuedo spam (I at least actually bought
and registered a product with these people. I didnt say they could spam me
but Im not wuite as irritated by mail about new palm pilot accessories as I
am recieving the exact same RED HOT DEAL! spam 30-40 times in a single day.

The reasons I get this many are pretty simple.

1. I have something like 20 active email accounts, some of which are on free
email services.
2. I'm listed as the admin or technical contact for a bunch of domains.
3. I have my address on several publicly accessible web sites.
4. I subscribe to several large mailing lists.

I used to use spam filters, only I always had to save the spam and check
through it because some of my legitimate traffic always seemed to look like
spam. Spam filters have this annoying habit of deleting emails relating to
my freelance writing and contract work because some of the same keyword
combinations are in there and money is often mentioned.

I tried getting peopleto encrypt any important emails they sent to me, but
that was just too much work for these people, and to complain any more
strenuously would mean losing their business so that didn't play either.

I've pretty much given up on the idea that I can automatically get rid of
spam. I attempt to minimize the spam I actually recieve by having spam@
addresses for all the domains I own and/or run and only using those emails
to sign up for things or to post in public forums. Of course that doesnt
work in the case of restricted lists, which are unforutnately address botted
constantly.

Chris Byrne