[geeks] FW: boats

Chris Byrne chris at chrisbyrne.com
Wed May 8 15:28:47 CDT 2002

That's what they're made for. Though they are technicaly small craft, they
are designed for long distance ocean racing. The lightning 47 has 310
gallons bunkerage and at WOT (wide open throttle, 86 mph) gets appx 1 mpg,
for a fuel burn of 86gph for a max speed range of 310 miles. At best economy
cruise with the center screw trailed (around 14mph)it burns about 7-10gph
for a best range of about 500-600 or so miles. If you switch to diesels that
range is doubled to around 1000-1200 miles.

The 65 supercruiser on the other hand has something like 800 gallons of
bunkerage but has a higher fuel burn at a lower speed. I'd expect something
like a 1500 mile range on it. That's about the minimum necessary to be
useful for intercontinental travel which is the ultimate market for a boat
like this.

But affordable is another thing entirely. 800 gallons of marine diesel aint
cheap (something like $650 if you can get the tax free stuff) plus the
maintenance and insurance fees.

Though actually, now that I think about it, it's not all that bad. The 65
has berthing for 8 if you double up the three cabins and fill both salon
berths. Taking 8 people on a 3000 mile over ocean round trip by airplane is
like to cost you at least $3000 and be a lot less fun, vs $2000 worth of
fuel and supplies.

Chris Byrne