[geeks] crazy stupid idea

geeks at sunhelp.org geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed May 8 09:26:23 CDT 2002

I am working on building a gas turbine engine based on an automotive
turbocharger (not a new idea, there is a big hobby jet engine movement
around this idea). I finished welding the flame tube last week and am
working on a fuel injector. My fuel will be propane at first (easy injection
scheme) and kerosene later (I'm looking for oilburner parts for this).

I was trying to figure out how to harness the output power. The turbo has no
output shaft of course, and welding a shaft onto the exotic metals of a
rotor is out of the question (balance would be a bitch too). While pondering
this I looked over at my boat and had a eureka moment.

Would it work if....
I routed the thrust of the jet into a tube or a venturi under the hull of a
boat (pointing toward the stern of course)? It seems to me that the water
would be a good resistive force to "push" against, and a jet thrust wouldn't
have any of the limitations of a prop. It seems to me that it should be very
fast if enough thrust is available. The only downfall I can think of is if
any "thrust air" is under the hull the displacement/buoyancy of the hull
might change drastically.

Any ideas? Am I destined for disaster?