[geeks] Help... Pipe rescue

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Tue May 7 23:28:40 CDT 2002

On Tuesday, May 7, 2002, at 10:12 AM, Kurt Huhn wrote:

>> Has anyone had a similar clog and gotten it out... I'm trying to avoid
>> either a plumber's visit or a messy turn at the pipes myself.
>>
> <snip>

> I doubt that's you problem, though - since you specify wax.  However, to
> clog a 4" main would require a *lot* of wax.  I suspect the clog is
> actually still in a section of 1.5" or 2" pipe somewhere just before the
> main.  The toilet will usually go directly to the main, so if that still
> works, your clog isn't in the main.

It was about a 1/8 th of a cup of wax or a touch more... not much at
all... I had boiled the bottom of a large candle in the hopes of
straightening it so it would sit upright... (It had melted on the heat
register and tilted over), and without thinking dumped the boiled water
which had a bit of wax scum and coloring on top.

The drain is clogged in the smaller pipe... The toilet works fine.  The
wax wasn't in the trap, but in the sink elbow.... I pushed it with
boiling water to a space in the horizontal where it turns to go
downwards thus clogging the tub.  The sink if left running will fill the
tub at that point slowly.

After my original doctoring, the whole thing drains excruciatingly
slowly.  I basically stoppered the sink and the tub and using boiling
water today in several loads managed to plunger the sink and get all the
kereosene and everything else out of the system including rust chips
hair etc...... so it blows clean now.  I also managed to unclog the
drain enough that running the water in the sink doesn't fill the tub
anymore.... The tub drains twice as fast now, but still excruciatingly
slow.  I have one thing left to try tomorrow before calling Rooter...
(the acid based drain cleaner)  I would have tried snaking the drain,
but the tub has the drain occluded by a metal bar to which the grate for
the drain screws into... I'd have to bust the caulking job to get the
drain assembly out.  I tried to spiral my closet auger around it, but no
dice... I have a smaller snake that may be available tomorrow barring
that.

Andrew

> How to fix?  You'll probably need a pipe snake.  It's an odd piece of
> equipment that has a  corkscrew looking thing on the end, a flexible
> length of metal tubing (like steel braided line), and a crank (either
> human or motor powered).  Essentially it bores out a hole in the clog,
> and transports the gunk back to the sink/tub/touilet/whatever for
> removal.  These are fairly inexpensive, and you can even rent powered
> ones at your local equipment rental place.

Yep have one... like I said ... metal thingy in the way.

Andrew