[geeks] Help... Pipe rescue

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Tue May 7 09:12:13 CDT 2002

> Has anyone had a similar clog and gotten it out... I'm trying to avoid
> either a plumber's visit or a messy turn at the pipes myself.

I once had a nasty clog in the main between the house and the septic
tank that only *I* was able to diagnose - Mr. Rooter was no help.  They
said the tank was full and needed pumped - $250.  I found it after
realizing that all the drains in the house were clogged, if let to run
for a while.  Anyway, I dug up the entire section of oranberg pipe
(original to the mid-50's contsruction) and replaced it with a PVC
main.  The orangeberg was full of rot, had caved in, and hasd roots
growing through it.

I doubt that's you problem, though - since you specify wax.  However, to
clog a 4" main would require a *lot* of wax.  I suspect the clog is
actually still in a section of 1.5" or 2" pipe somewhere just before the
main.  The toilet will usually go directly to the main, so if that still
works, your clog isn't in the main.

How to fix?  You'll probably need a pipe snake.  It's an odd piece of
equipment that has a  corkscrew looking thing on the end, a flexible
length of metal tubing (like steel braided line), and a crank (either
human or motor powered).  Essentially it bores out a hole in the clog,
and transports the gunk back to the sink/tub/touilet/whatever for
removal.  These are fairly inexpensive, and you can even rent powered
ones at your local equipment rental place.

--
Kurt
kurt at k-huhn.com
Editor: "We need a new food critic, someone who doesn't immediately
poo-poo everything he eats."
Homer: "Naw, that usually takes a few hours."