[geeks] UPSs

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Tue May 7 22:50:18 CDT 2002

On Tue, 7 May 2002, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> It appears that what my U10 does is equivalent to running "poweroff".  It
> runs through the shutdown scripts and then switches off the power.  This
> is with the power-management software installed, BTW.  Without it, it may
> just tell the PSU to take a nap.

Hmmm... it's been too long for me to remember if the power management
was installed.  I hated the stuff.  Mainly cause we used U5s as servers
and once one DUMBASS didn't disable power management when he installed
that machine.  Gah.  Periodically it would decide it didn't want to be
the samba server anymore.  I almost burst a blood vessel when that
happened.  I mean, how dumb can you be to say "Yes" to powering down
a machine that you have as a SERVER.

*cough*

I'm feeling better now, really.

--Kurt