[geeks] Rumours...

Bjorn Ramqvist brt at g.haggve.se
Tue May 7 00:25:02 CDT 2002

Time for some rumours...

Compaq had a service engineer at our place, fixing our EV68C CPUs on the
ES45's. We were talking alot while he was doing his thing and we ended
up talking about Compaqs fsck'ed up Alpha-decision and the future.
Apparently there is a Very Experimental(tm) GS-server running in labs, a
GS1280. A quick sum of the numbers, it's a 128-CPU Alpha. Heh...
The EV7 is a "SMP-on-a-chip", which means you can pack lots and lots of
those EV7-chips in a very small formfactor, almost eliminating needs for
external chipsets doing SMP and other stuff. Nice. Apparently they have
a minor cooling issue at the moment. (No wonder)

SGI is coming out with 700MHz and 800MHz MIPS processors this fall.
Starting at the servers and later on (newyear/spring '03) coming to the
workstations. Fuel gets 700MHz/2MB (lowend) and 800MHz/4MB (highend),
replacing the current 500 & 600MHz.
I want one of those... :-)

--
Vnliga hlsningar/Best Regards