[geeks] One of the things I love about America

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Mon May 6 13:13:30 CDT 2002

On Mon, May 06, 2002 at 05:39:45PM +0000, wa2egp at att.net wrote:

> A lot depends on how you're certified.  At one time you
> could get certified in science for having one year of a science course.
> Now you have to have a minor (at least).  Unforch, the administrators
> are playing the "alphabet soup" game so the higher the degree,
> the better teacher you are.  That is not necessarily so.
> Higher degrees can be very selective in what you know and in
> most high school sciences a more through, general knowledge is
> better.

> Unless I misread your previous post, I got the impression that your
> thought the certification was a little bit too much for home schooling.

Too much time has gone by, I don't remeber, and I don't have the time to
review the thread.  But, requiring certification of teachers for homeschoolers
and private schools seems like a bad idea.  In the case of private schools,
should they not be capable of deciding for themselves who is qualified to be
hired, and if not, then why would parents send their kids there?  And there
is no way that homeschooling could possibly work if parents are required to be
certified in every subject they will cover.

--
Joshua D. Boyd