[geeks] One of the things I love about America

wa2egp at att.net wa2egp at att.net
Mon May 6 12:39:45 CDT 2002

> On Sat, May 04, 2002 at 12:45:34AM +0000, wa2egp at att.net wrote:
>
> > What's wrong with some kind of certification?  Do you want your child taught
> by
> > somone who doesn't know s about the subject they are teaching?  I guess so.
>
> Certification!=knowing much
>
> no certification != ignorance of subject.

A lot depends on how you're certified.  At one time you
could get certified in science for having one year of a science course.
Now you have to have a minor (at least).  Unforch, the administrators
are playing the "alphabet soup" game so the higher the degree,
the better teacher you are.  That is not necessarily so.
Higher degrees can be very selective in what you know and in
most high school sciences a more through, general knowledge is
better.
Unless I misread your previous post, I got the impression that your
thought the certification was a little bit too much for home schooling.