[geeks] Heterogeneous clusters

Chris Byrne chris at chrisbyrne.com
Sat May 4 16:05:27 CDT 2002

Does anyone have any experience with heterogeneous clusters?

I have 5 systems sitting around not doing much right now and I'd like to
play with clustering a bit, but they are differing architectures (2 sun 2
Intel and an Alpha). I've done a lot of homogeneous clusters from vaxen all
the way to large scale render farms, but I've never tried a mixed
architecture cluster.

Has anyone here successfully clustered multiple architectures together like
this? I know there are several projects that can in theory do this, I just
haven't used any of them.

Even cooler would be the ability to cluster them running different Os's, but
I'd say that's a bit much to ask. Fro what I can tell this grid engine stuff
is junk.

Chris Byrne