[geeks] thoughts.

Chris Byrne chris at chrisbyrne.com
Sat May 4 01:11:58 CDT 2002

> -----Original Message-----
> From: geeks-admin at sunhelp.org [mailto:geeks-admin at sunhelp.org]On Behalf
> Of Bill Bradford
>
> I think 64meg (maybe 128s?) in the '20,

Found it. According to Birdsall the SS10 and SS20 have a max ram of 512m
with a max simm size of 64m

> quad 200s is asking for trouble; I heard a story of a guy who
> came in to work on a MOnday to find the top of his '20's case melted over
> the CPU section...
>
> I'd kill for a nice pair of SM71s or even SM81s.

I suppose I could do a little case modding to deal with the heat of the
200mhz ross modules, but a pair of SM81's would be cool (literally and
figuratively).

I've played with a bunch of SS10's and SS20's but they've all been single
proc. I havent had any experience with the multi-proc systems and I've got a
few questions.

1. Would the SM520 be the fastest dual processor Mbus module that work with
the SS20?

2. Which would be faster for a good mix of multi threaded applications, dual
SM81 (2 procs total) or dual SM520 (4 procs total)?

3. Would two ross dual proc 142Mhz 1mb modules or two ross dual 125mhz 1mb
modules work config and heat wise? As far as I can tell they are the fastest
dual processor module with 1mb of cache.

4. Would I be correct in assuming that the massive increase in clockspeed
would make up for the architecture differences between the HyperSPARC Ross
modules above and the SuperSPARC-II sm81?

5. Assuming I COULD get it to work heat wise would the 200mhz clock speed
and larger l1 and othjer achitecture inprovemnts in the 620d make up for
having half the cache at half the speed as the 620c 142Mhz modules? I have
the suspicion that it wouldnt, but I may be wrong.

6. Would one of the clones (say an axil s/420) have good enough, or be
easily moddable to provide enough cooling for the quad 200mhz?

Chris Byrne