[geeks] 32 Gig 1.6" SCA drives......

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Thu May 2 20:08:32 CDT 2002

> > >That's what you get for using IDE.  I haven't had a *single* problem with
> > >an Ultrastar.
> >
> > You use what you can afford :(
>
> How much space do you really need though?  Most people don't really need so
> much that a few 4 or 9 gig drives wouldn't do the job.

I think quite a few of us have a lot of MP3s online, and that's
not something you usually archive, so those take more and more
space as time progresses.

In my case I've got the OpenVMS Alpha and VAX source listings
online, plus the Freeware V4.0 and V5.0 CDs, plus some of the
distribution CDs.  None of those get archived off, either.

I also keep some disks around for building test installations,
so while there's nothing permanent on them, I need to keep
the space free.

Another large consumer of space is source files for the software
I use and build for new systems.  I keep them online so I don't
have to search for the archives and building for a new system
is a matter of copying over the source files, building, then
copying over the binaries for reloading later, if necessary.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net