[geeks] One of the things I love about America

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu May 2 16:16:40 CDT 2002

On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 01:00:57PM -0500, Steven Hill wrote:
> > Also, while I think that teachers deserve to be paid more than they are, I
> > don't think that increasing pay will fix anything.  Maybe offering increased
> > pay for better performance could be usefull though...  But that has it own
> > sets of problems (how to measure performance, encourage fairness, etc).
>
> Performance of what? or of whom?

Yes, that would be difficult to quantify.  The fairest way would be to do it
district by district, and let them quantify it, and set the raise scale for
within the district.  State wide is obviously too wide for one performance
standard in this case.

> Pupils? Teachers in schools with bad catchment areas would therefore
> be paid less for dealing with disruptive and or pupils who are as
> thick as pigshit.

Not if the school district set the scale.  And disruptive pupils are where
empowering the teachers to met out real punishments comes in.

--
Joshua D. Boyd