[geeks] Emissions and whatnot

Mike Hebel nimitz at owc.net
Thu May 2 15:34:34 CDT 2002

>> And how about instead of drilling on ANWR, we just pass better
>> emissions standards for vehicles?  How about we implement standards
>> for SUVs?

MD> How about just taxing gas a whole lot more in general? Use the money
MD> for two things and two things only - clean up/protect the environment
MD> and develop new/more efficient fuel sources. I bet if gas jumped
MD> $1/gallon and there was no chance of it going down, people with 17mpg
MD> SUVs would think twice during their next car purchase. Better
MD> emissions standards would be a good move also.

Fat chance of that sort of thing happening.  If you want examples of
the kind of stuff that goes on with this sort of thing then contact
organizations like the National Hydrogen Association
(http://www.hydrogenus.com/)

They got their buts kicked several times by the big oil concerns
because they proved that Hydrogen is a viable fuel AND can be used in
older vehicles with a little conversion.  (The whole engine thing is,
after all, trying to combust a semi-gas in it's current design.  Not
too big a step to combusting a complete gas.)  Hell, their old site
from many many moons ago had a converted (Nissan?) pickup on the front
that they spent very little money making work.  Some industrial vehicles
already run on natural gas (feel free to correct me on the right type
of gas) and are on the roads currently.

I'll step down off my soap box now...

Mike Hebel                        mailto:nimitz at owc.net