[geeks] Emissions and whatnot

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Thu May 2 15:08:50 CDT 2002

Andrew Weiss wrote:

> How about all SUV's being Honda Insight style or Natural Gas SUV's... by
> law.

Bah!  We already have more laws than we need - besides, this would never
pass muster of either the consumers or the manufacturers.

> Put some real research into making alternate fuel engines PERFORM better
> than gasoline engines...

Alcohol engines already perform better than gasoline engines - but
alcohol is *extremely* corrosive, and creates noxious (and even toxic)
fumes when burned depending upon the other additives.  Engine life of
alcohol engines, according my current knowledge, is very low.

> Also put some money into diesel vehicles... a bit better than gas fueled
> for cleanliness... only a dirty soot + less CO.

Cummins, Detroit, Duramax, Volkswagen, Mercedes - all manufacturers of
diesel engines for the consumer market.  I'd take a Cummins turbo-diesel
over nearly any other powerplant in a pickup truck any day.  My current
truck has a gas engine, but that was a moment of weakness (it's sooo
pretty ;).
--
Kurt
kurt at k-huhn.com
Editor: "We need a new food critic, someone who doesn't immediately
poo-poo everything he eats."
Homer: "Naw, that usually takes a few hours."