[geeks] One of the things I love about America

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Thu May 2 12:25:15 CDT 2002

On Thursday, May 2, 2002, at 01:16 PM, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> It is dishonest to sign a treaty that you don't intend to honor.  I
> fully
> support Bush not signing the treaties that I've heard of him not
> signing.  In
> particular, while I think that emisions need to come down, the Kyoto
> treaty
> really sounds bad.

Curious?... What parts do you personally think sounded bad... I ask
because my statement dealt more with a blanket disregard for the
environment rather than the specifics of the Kyoto Treaty (drilling
Alaska, backing out of 40 years of policy.. .sort of like a bunch of
Dominos... some Dominos might make sense, but put together it sounds
like a Darwin Awards for politics)

> Any treaty regarding IP also probably is one that
> shouldn't be signed.  And what was that one about enforcing foreign
> rules on
> the internet?
>
>> They should use the rule of evicting people from public housing if
>> anyone in the family is caught with drugs (daughters) to evict the guy
>> from the White House.  (after all if they can kick innocent
>> grandmothers
>> out... why not mr Rich stuff?)
>
> I think that is a stupid rule.  And the only thing worse than stupid,
> unjust
> rules is stupid and unjust rules that are twisted for purposes other
> than
> intended.  The whole war on drugs has to go.

AGREED.... it's my business to kill myself with my drug of choice.  It's
the business of insurance companies to choose to drop me in that case.
Besides... some of the drugs are only illegal for the most arbitrary or
business oriented reasons... drug laws are an anachronism as are
drinking ages, and most ages on things like pr0n... blue laws ... etc.

We need a committee whose sole purpose is to find and exterminate bad
laws in all 50 states through intense logic.

> On a related note, it is way too hard to kick people out of apartments,
> even
> if it does save people like DaveM from idiots afraid of technology.  I
> know
> people who made the mistake of owning apartment buildings in "inner
> city"
> Lancaster, and they end up spending endless amounts of money because of
> tenets
> who intentionally trash the place, but who are extremely difficult and
> expensive to evict.

True...

Difficult job... don't want it.  I would, however, like a little more
heart in politics... and a whole lot less sleaze and money. (no I am not
talking about love/sex/sleaze....fiscal sleaze/pork bellies)

Andrew