[geeks] Rant: Network "Industry Leaders" That Don't.

geeks at sunhelp.org geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu May 2 06:40:36 CDT 2002

~ -----Original Message-----
~ From: Jonathan C. Patschke [mailto:jp at celestrion.net]
~
~ On Wed, 1 May 2002, Kris Kirby wrote:
~
~ > On Wed, 1 May 2002, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
~ > > [3] Question: Can you multiplex 100baseFX over fibre so
~ that you can run
~ > >     three 33MHz Ethernet connections over a single strand?
~ >
~ > Hello VLAN!
~
~ I think I'm missing something.  How can a VLAN solve that?  I
~ have three
~ distinct (from layer 1 upwards) networks that need to run between two
~ buildings via fibre.  The only solutions I see are:
~   1) Multiplexing the fibre.  I don't know if this can be
~ done, and it's
~      probably expensive, as none of the existing hubs/bridges natively
~      speak 100baseFX (they're using media converters).
~   2) Running two more fibre strands.  The cable guy will be
~ redoing the
~      copper to meet with fire code.  Approving two more
~ strands hopefully
~      won't be difficult.
~

Maybe I'm missing the complexity here, but this sounds like the job of a
router.