[geeks] One of the things I love about America

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Wed May 1 14:00:16 CDT 2002

On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 05:55:24PM +0100, Mike Meredith wrote:
> I'm sure it doesn't apply to you, but it always amazes me that people
> want things that are pretty much incompatible ... you can't drop taxes
> to 0 *and* improve public services. Or at least you can't without doing
> something unexpected.

Indeed.  Around here, the local council has taken to holding referendums*
each year on what to do to the council tax**.  They present three options -
raise it less than inflation, raise it about the same as inflation, or
raise it more than inflation.  Both times, I voted to raise it by more
than inflation.  Both times the majority was to raise it by less than
inflation.  And yes, the shitwits then rant in the local press about how
terrible it is that services are cut.  Well duh!

Sometimes I despair of democracy and think that people just don't deserve
it. (but see *)

> What really annoys me about UK elections is how everyone is wondering
> why the turnout is always so low. I'm sure one of the biggest
> contributions is having the election days on a Thursday.

Unfortunately not.  Making it much easier to vote by post didn't fix that.

* - which are not legally binding, but they have done what the majority
said both times so far.  I applaud them, both for holding them, and for
following through even when the councillors don't like the result.  The
more democracy we have the better.

** - a fixed amount approximately related to property value

--
David Cantrell    |    Degenerate    |    http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david

     Gehyrst u, slida, hwt is folc sege?
     Hi willa eow to gafole garas syllan,