[geeks] Rant: Network "Industry Leaders" That Don't.

Gary Nichols gary at linuxforce.org
Wed May 1 13:01:25 CDT 2002

One night last year, I ate some really bad pork.  It was so bad in fact
that it had me hallucinating most of the night.  As I fell into a deep
coma-like slumber, I had the worst nightmare of my life.  At the time I
was a network/cabling monkey who had seen some bad installs, but nothing
like in my nightmare.  All windows NT servers... SP1... homemade cat5
cables by a guy named 'doug'... stacks and stacks of unmanaged 24-port
hubs spewing ipx/appletalk/blah throughout the nework... clueless users
setting up one napster server after another... no password on the local
firewall boxen... 3 -no- 4 hacked servers... and the coffee machine is OUT
OF FSCKING COFFEE!!!! AAAHAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

*wakes up in a sweat*

This nightmare, however, doesn't even TOUCH the situation you're
describing.

Good God man.  Time to head to the pub for a brew (and BBQ?)