[geeks] One of the things I love about America

Peter L. Wargo pwargo at basenji.com
Wed May 1 09:34:30 CDT 2002

On Wednesday, May 1, 2002, at 04:19 , David Cantrell wrote:

> FWIW, I would agree with you that Americans are on the whole good
> people.
> That's true of just about any group of people you care to mention.
> Criticism of "America" is really criticism of the US government and
> political system, which is an entirely different thing.  The people may
> have been America at some point, but they aren't now.

I would agree.  Lucky for us, we have the ability in the US to criticize
the government (even if the republican party wishes otherwise), and we
also have the ability to work for change.  I know that the 2000
elections really woke me up - I've always voted, but now I've been
putting more effort into it.  (A good example would be the amount of
letter writing and calling Chan and I did to oppose the drilling in the
Arctic Refuge.  Many others did as well, and it made a difference.)
Come 2004, you can bet your ass that we'll be working hard to get a
better individual in office.

I'm glad to be an American, but with the privilege comes the
responsibility to participate.  Not only to vote, but to keep an eye and
your government, and work for change.

-Pete