[geeks] I'm bored

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Sat Mar 23 18:09:43 CST 2002

Heh I wish I had the qualifications to get a UNIX job in this market.
Stupid finance companies are mucking things up...

<RANT>
(MUST have trading floor experience... MUST have experience with yadda
yadda yadda... .Must have JD Edwards experience... MUST have 4 +
years... 10 + years... etc. etc. etc...which is especially funny when
they are an NT shop...what gets me are the ones that say MUST have a
Computer Science degree... ? ERM... for a sysadmin position?... for
NT?... erm nope durr... you [employers] don't know what you're looking
for.)
</RANT>

Unfortunately it'll take me years to find one (thoroughly UNIX based;
greater than 50%) that'd take me on my paper experience alone... i.e.
I'd actually get an interview.

So I'll admin NT for now..

NT is ok if I'm at the helm... just freaking boring.  I batten things
down and simplify until I can leave the machines alone for months at a
time and then things get boring... NT is just too easy to make oneself
redundant (for someone who knows what they're doing ;-)) and not just
for lack of having to touch the box, but for lack of desire TO touch the
box.

Andrew