[geeks] I'm bored

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Sat Mar 23 14:02:47 CST 2002

> ya know, its often funny or interesting to see the choices some people are
> willing to make due to forgetfulness (while i think being a trainer is a
> different story/occupation than what follows...).
>
> i can remember starving and only making 4.50 an hour cleaning hotel rooms.
> for that kind of hell i'd much rather make at least 50k a year adminning a
> broken operating system for a few months until a better thing came
> along...
>
> arrogance and pride doesn't pay bills or feed children. *shrug*

While that is true - if presented with a choice of "admin NT, or find
another line of work" - I would find another line of work.  Seriously.
I hate Windows that much - haveing done NT admin for a number of years.

I can make very good money being a personal trainer, and even more
building custom motorcycles - figure 17k to build, and they retail for
40k.   Two weeks build-time per bike, and you get a very handsome living
out of it - as long as the clients are there.  I'm actually considering
doing this on a part-time basis anyway because I love doing it.

If it was the difference between admining NT and earning $4.50 an hour,
the choice is obvious (admin NT).  However, the world is so much larger
than that - and there are so many other choices.  I've developed a very
entreprenurial spirit in the last few years, so starting my own business
doesn't scare me as much as it might scare other people.  I've already
got a couple side ventures, and a decent savings, so I could do it if I
needed to.

Kurt