[geeks] Further info on Sol8 networking problem

Brian Hechinger wonko at arkham.ws
Fri Mar 22 11:28:57 CST 2002

On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 11:50:42AM -0500, Kurt Mosiejczuk wrote:

> I'd second the inexpensive NAT box idea.  I know a lot of people who
> use the Linksys cable modem router/firewall.  I use their wireless
> version right now and it works and works well.  And it will have
> that tech support option your folks like...

this is SO much better than that windows sharing crap.  and like bill said, can
be had for very little $$.  run it by them.  tell them all the benefits.

> Although, I'd weigh in with Mr. McGuire also, I wouldn't worry about
> a NetBSD (or OpenBSD, my preference) sparc box being reliable... the
> only reason I'm not using one right now is because I got the wireless
> gateway/cable router for LESS than the plain access point.  I'm debating
> switching back.. we'll see =)

if it's really an issue of them being scared of not being able to support it,
then hang a modem off of serial port a, and if they have problems, tell them
to turn the modem on, hang up the phone and don't answer it when you call back.
dial in, solve problem.  voila.  like magic.  plus this machine could be a
firewall, and a print server, and an FTP server and a web server and a......

i think you get the point.   oh, and since it doesn't need a monitor or keyboard
will take up very little space.

-brian

--
"Oh, shut up Buddha."  -Jesus Christ (South Park)