[geeks] Further info on Sol8 networking problem

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Fri Mar 22 10:50:42 CST 2002

On Fri, 22 Mar 2002, Peter L. Wargo wrote:

> Why not use an inexpensive NAT box, like the Xrouter from Xsense?  I
> have been using their stuff for *years* - cheap (like a little over
> $100), never breaks, no moving parts, and does a great job.  Basenji.com
> has sat behind one since early 2000.  They also have decent tech support.

I'd second the inexpensive NAT box idea.  I know a lot of people who
use the Linksys cable modem router/firewall.  I use their wireless
version right now and it works and works well.  And it will have
that tech support option your folks like...

Although, I'd weigh in with Mr. McGuire also, I wouldn't worry about
a NetBSD (or OpenBSD, my preference) sparc box being reliable... the
only reason I'm not using one right now is because I got the wireless
gateway/cable router for LESS than the plain access point.  I'm debating
switching back.. we'll see =)

--Kurt