[geeks] Solaris vfstab

Peter L. Wargo pwargo at basenji.com
Mon Mar 18 23:39:48 CST 2002

On Monday, March 18, 2002, at 08:28 , Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> Yeah, I figured out the controller, target, disk, slice stuff.  Well, I
> don't
> really know what disk is in this case but..

Disk - LUN (Logical Unit Number).  In SCSI, each target can (in theory)
have 7 LUN's (this may have changed, this is based on my old, cobwebby
file drawer in my head). In fact, on the old SCSI<->MFM/RLL/ESDI
adaptors (Adaptec ACB 4000/4070 and Emulex MD-21, to name a few), there
were two LUNS available, making them lots of fun to play with.

> It was just confusing my to see
> /dev/dsk/c... followed immediately by /dev/rdsk/c...

Ya always fsck the raw device.  In the olden SunOS days (pre 5.0), it
was /dev/sd0a and /dev/rsd0a...

-Pete