[geeks] Being a guy, and being sentimental.

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Mon Mar 18 09:31:11 CST 2002

On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 07:23:58AM -0800, Fogg, James wrote:
> Have you ever seen what goes into a landfill? As geeks, many listmembers are
> familiar with "curbside collecting". I have actually spent a day at a
> landfill (phuking pew!!!) and was ammazed at the perfectly good shit people
> toss. The town I live in now has a "metal pile" for stuff that they don't
> want placed in the crusher. I see air conditioners, major appliances,
> photocopiers, woodstoves and other usefull stuff that look like they were
> working when dropped off. Other than Goodwill & the Salvation Army, there is
> no good way to recycle stuff to people that can't spend the money for new
> stuff. I've placed free-ads for stuff myself and got no responses.

On trips to the dump (which I don't do frequently), more than once I've seen
a large number of computers that look fairly current in the dumpster.  But,
unfortunately, the dump has a no scavenging policy, and survailence to enforce
it.

It is so hard to find homes for good stuff sometimes.

--
Joshua D. Boyd