Hungarian Food (was: Re: [geeks] the mail debate (please

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Fri Mar 15 10:18:37 CST 2002

> I remember as a kid going to visit my great aunt and uncle.  Aunt
> Margaret would invite us in saying, "Oh, I'm so glad you could come.  I
> just baked a little something."  She would then lead us into a room
> filled with baked goods...  When we went to leave, she would say, "I
> know you can't get any good Hunkie food in NY, so I went to Drotos
> Brothers (bucher/deli) and gout you a few things." (A few things was a
> sack full of nifty meat goods.)  Of course, you had to accept it all,
> not only because it was good, but because it's rude to not accept food
> in a Hungarian household.

The first time I went to the in-laws I thought I was going to
explode from eating too much.  I didn't want to offend my mother-
in-law, and every time my plate got empty she wanted me to try
some more.  My wife finally told me to just be firm and say I
can't eat any more.

When I walk into the kitchen for a drink my mother-in-law
always offers more food.  Again, I just have to say no.

And I learned to be careful about mentioning something
about food.  I mentioned that I wanted to get some Diet
Coke, but my m-i-l said she'd get some when she went
shopping later that afternoon (she goes shopping almost
every day).  She brought home three cases, so I'd have
plenty to drink and to take home.

We get boxes with paprika and spaetzle all the time, just in
case we can't find it locally (which we can, but she wants
to be sure).

When we drive up she always sends back lots of food, too,
in case we get hungry on the drive back.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net